Day in the Life of a Dota 2 Pro Gamer

Great game, but one value really sticks out

sneed

1 Like

One of the best sociological case studies I've ever seen.
Very recommended to everyone interested in online gaming behavior. I'm lucky enough to have experienced a lot of this first hand, but this video is for everyone - whether or not they've played WoW.

1 Like

Can I get a summary it's an hour and 30 mins long

Let me know when asmongold reacts to this and ill give it a watch

It's a dissection of the evolution of social behavior and "best practices" put through the perspective of WoW raiding and guilds' utilization of external tools and simulations (even to the point of hiring specialized raider software devs), and expectations of average players.

I played WoW for 2 years (late 2019-2021) and was in a "competitive speedrunning" guild that competed for best clears on the server - we held the first/second spot for the most part.
The guild I played in had a dedicated software dev raid leading and making our addons/tools for us, and the video is really accurate regarding the emerging culture - where putting in hours or days for a 0.5% performance increase (farming +1 DMG on your gear) is considered mandatory; Not because it will make a difference or solve our raid problems, but because it is a ritual to show your dedication to the group.

And then everything was turned to these rituals, and everyone was expected to know them inherently - not knowing them was considered disrespectful and rude, because everyone else has put in the time into reading, learning, and watching the best practices.

If you took a different route in a dungeon, fight one extra goblin? You get yelled at, kicked from the group - not because the time taken matters, these raids are locked to one clear a week.
In fact - even when the decision is completely inconsequential to the time taken or resources spent, if it's not what everyone else did, you're in the wrong.

Being as good and optimized as possible was considered the average, and if you're not - you're an active detriment.

I was personally at fault for a lot of these things - I did the grinds for 0.1% performance increase just to prove a point, and looked down on who didn't. I was the guy getting mad and nitpicking every little "mistake" in my groups, I actively enabled and supported the guild's cliquey culture and - and in the end it led to the guild dying.

The video describes examples of the evolution of these tools and optimizations and goes into the history of how people adopt and socially decide what "best" is.

It's a wonderful look at how people really view multiplayer games and how we turn the works of art and turn them back into numbers and code. I still recommend watching/listening to it to everyone, even after you read this post.

2 Likes

Haha he said it

1 Like

This applies to Dota as well, don't worry.

Self reflection is always good, keep going

Self reflection? I don't regret a single second of it. I just think it's fascinating.

1 Like

If anyone wondering why Pingu & crew lost DPC slot I know the story. Stupid AF story tbh.

1 Like

I'm very curious. What happened?

people didnt want to play together

AINT THAT SOME SHIT?

No that's literally everything

Besides raw indiv talent

nah its not. Its something more. Capitalists wouldt do this.

Bali major pretty dope

1 Like

That's one of the most accurate bell chart memes that I've ever seen

Maybe I'd switch petersonuans and objectivists

i reinstalled dota 2 after about 4 and a half years, might uninstall it at the end of the month and look over my overall experience to see if it's worth picking back up casually

2 Likes