Average IQ in Egypt is (at least) 86 NOT 76

TL;DR at the end.

This post piqued my interest. If the top Google result is correct and our average IQ truly is 76, then a third of the population would have IQs less than 70, which is intellectual disability! This is obviously false.

So I looked into The Intelligence of Nations, the famous book of the person who reported the 76 figure (Richard Lynn). Ignoring the fact that he is a proud racist, here are the seven studies he cited (two of which he did):

Year Age Education Area Governorate Sample Score Authors
1988 23.48 average Undergraduate Alexandria University Alexandria 452 77.08 Abdel-Khalek
1995 7-10 Primary Kalama Village Qalyubia 110 70.6 Wachs et. al.
1995 8.9-11.2 Primary El-Katta Village Giza 170 77.52 Yunis et al.
2014 20.5 Undergraduate Ain Shams University Cairo 2147 77.07 Abdel-Khalek et al.
2015 6-20+ NA South Egypt Giza, Assiut, Sohag and Aswan 7600 89 Lynn and Bakhiet
2015 5.6-10.5 Primary All of Egypt All Governorates 11284 85.41 Lynn and Bakhiet
2017 5-11 Primary Rural Menoufia 1756 89.46 Ziada et al.

He states that these studies give a weighted average IQ of 86.46 (seems about right), but he also cites Egypt's participation in TIMSS and PIRLS, from which he calculates the 76 "average IQ."

Here's the problem: those two tests, at their core, assess curricular knowledge and abilities (math, science, literacy), not pattern-recognition, problem-solving, and reasoning (at least not directly). While academic ability is correlated with IQ, we can all agree that education sucks here.

It's annoying how Google puts this estimation (76) as a top result instead of the actual studies that measure IQ directly (86). And that's ignoring the fact that none of the studies motivated test-takers (which can yield a 5–10 point increase) or the fact that some studies exclusively tested rural children (which yields lower scores).

TL;DR: At least seven studies were conducted to measure Egyptians' IQ. Their total sample size is over 23 thousand, and together, they calculate the average IQ to be 86, NOT 76 (76 is the estimation of some white-supremacist). I also believe the real value to be even higher for different reasons (see above).

I just wanted to publicize this. I can now sleep peacefully knowing that only (a maximum of) 6% have an IQ associated with intellectual disabilities.

Mean: 86.46 (probably higher though). Standard Deviation: 10.35. Blue area is 68%. Source: The Intelligence of Nations by some racist author (reason number 1 why it's probably higher).

1 Like

Worst thread of the year easily

86 means the country is still full of dumb Africans

Did anyone else see the Epok Deleted Post on April 28th 2024? He mentioned how he was trying to optimize forum KPIs but deleted it probably after he realized that it wasn't in the moderator lounge.