I Have Transcended From Nazi To Simp

Maybe I'm speaking from a biased standpoint since I played so much WoW PvP where the same spell can have 10+ different animations depending on the race+gender combination of the character casting it, but I want to reiterate that glance value for cards and dota animations really only matter for the first 10 or so times you see it, then it's part of your instinctive reactions (this happens within a single dota match).

The issue with Dota cosmetics is that they're incredibly ugly and uninspired, but I think their effect on gameplay is a lot less than what you think. The QOP change example is an actual mechanical change though, not really a cosmetic?

In MTG I don't think you need to go "Uhh what is that" because the board state and the permanents on it are mentally stored as names and numbers, not as pictures. It's like playing chess blindfolded (with maybe pawns only and a 4x4 board) - doesn't matter how the pieces are shaped.

Again, I could be biased towards thinking a certain way due to my academic background mostly studying things that are just invisible, or my upbringing as a minority.

2 Likes

If you're laning against a Centaur Warrunner and he has a cosmetic that makes him backflip before stunning, how many times do you have to see it before you're able to reliably phase-shift dodge it as Puck?

If you want to point out problematic dota cosmetic examples, you should point out stuff like this.
This is a problem because both heroes (Skymage and Venge) could be in the same team, in the same support role, and with the same amount of health.
(health bar amount contributes as much to glance value as hero models)

I am in no way defending dota cosmetics, but very few go as far as this atrocity.

For me if it's even a single time, that's ruining the game

I agree on skymage, that is "glance value" and dota fucked it up completely

Of course it's bad and game ruining and shouldn't be in the game. But we can adapt and overcome it easily, is what I mean.
Like Trump and Joe Biden.

I appreciate you acknowledging your bias as a minority. My bias is as a minority also in TF2 (spy player) where they added so many cosmetics the game actually ran worse. This is why I say they have a team that makes games and a team that wrecks games. One team to make it run and the other to make it not run.

In MTG on the other hand, it's like they're changing Dota Animations and models to League of Legends Animations and Models.
Simply Ugly.

Personally I can't adapt and overcome it. I just stop playing the game.

I forgot to mention in earlier post that if you are playing the whole time while they make these changes, it might be alright- you kind of adjust. But if you take long break and come back, it's much different - centaur jumping and doing backflips, skymage looks like veng, you see a random hero that is just a mess of color and sound and realize it's actually one of the old heroes, but every cosmetic and animation changed so much that you just have no idea what's going on. Then at the same time you are trying to figure out the actual new heroes.

It's just too much. It's bad design.

1 Like

Yeah it's terrible for new/returning (essentially new) players, but there's no more new players for MTG and Dota anyway so it's ok.

Yes. No new players because they wrecked the game

For MTG I am actually a new player - I joined the local pauper weekly. Check my reddit profile

1 Like

Just play MTG Online/Arena.

I don't play online games. I have chosen to live in the world of mud & bone.

Yeah regardless of medium glance value good

Like this yeah. It's like tf2s cosmetic situation but worse because atleast tf2 chars kinda have other ways to be glanced and figured. Just "Adapt" is the based answer but the reality is that most cannot or will not adapt and will lose out on a potentially good experience. Unless it's dota.

I feel like you've made the counterargument before with Jones as well when you talked to him about designing a game for consumption

We don't adapt because we want to, we just do. It's beyond our control - the human brain (and spirit) function at a much higher level than our cognition.

That wouldn't be surprising, considering nothing I say is genuine and it's all just arguing in devil's advocate for the sake of it. None of my arguments are real after all, and I'm just trolling the boards.

"we" are not the same from other people who have less willingness, need, or interest in adaption. people can adapt, but they will gladly choose not to

See: dork souls and filters in general

I disagree. Someone who sees the (hypothetical) centaur backflip stun a few times won't fall for it (as in, go "whats he doing?") again no matter their willingness.