Rings of Power: The new hobbits are filthy, hungry simpletons with stage-Irish accents.

also some of them using terrorism to fight back against encroaching humans

Their language also seems Celtic in origin - locations, character names, history

I think in this case it falls into a different stereotype/trope of the Irish/Celts being the Strange Other. It's supposed to come off as vaguely foreign, mystical - maybe a little more connected to the natural world

You could go in and pick it apart and decide it is racist, too. But I like it

1 Like

perhaps better than no representation

I am pro-racism and pro-stereotypes in general. And anti-representation

that makes no sense

1 Like

What's the difference between an Irish funeral and an Irish wedding?

One less drunk.

1 Like

holy shit

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: It was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.

1 Like

While I'd usually agree with this way of thinking, the show thinks so much of itself for including African American characters as traditionally white facing roles. This is so american audience can pay themselves on the back for being so inclusive to their own society, while still stereotyping and pillaging the cultures across the pond.

1 Like

You will never achieve your goals in life and will be plagued with illness, one after another and mental in origin: taking the place of unusually amplified emotions or spouts of malaise. Your bloodline will continue into a lower class / middle class slavery, worshipping the tired and tried humor that your masters feed you.

4 Likes

You share more with the Irish condition than you think, bludgeoning your own reputation by mentioning your "buzz" in other posts. I'd seriously recommend reading "A painful case" if you want a preview into your later years.

2 Likes

Oh no not black people

I'm referencing the American hype around the topic and hatred, not dogwhistling any views of my own.

i've been called a ■■■■■■ by a northern italian. some europeans are incredibly fragile about blacks and even people who associate with 'them'

2 Likes

I'm sorry, are you insinuating I'm one of those people?

What do you mean by "Europeans"

no just the general hubbub that arises when black people are cast in old medieval high fantasy

Oh, yeah I know.

'some europeans' aren't even used to seeing black people

black "people" are awful

1 Like