Summit 9 - Summer 2018

Plus - not all their previous tournaments are the same. I would’ve preferred if you said that they hadn’t said anything about it yet.

That’s true. They might do a 1-group Round Robin instead of doing 2 groups of 3, which was sort of their format doing 3 groups of 3 last year.

Why do groups at all?

in larger tournaments it’s probably easier to have two groups running a round robin concurrently to save time.

but since it’s fewer teams maybe they don’t have to bother doing two groups

That’s not what I meant… You don’t have to have a group stage

They will do groups for the Twitch money. No real reason to do them otherwise.

Very good point

I think the group stage is to weed out the 1 or 2 “cupcake” teams so people don’t get mad that, for example, EG and VGJ is a matchup in the same round as LDI and OpTic.

That leads to sub-optimal games and results

The group stage format is used to prevent such a thing, yes. That’s why it’s used in every DPC tournament.

No - Group stage in a 6 team tournament is suboptimal

I think getting a 1 2 3 4 5 6 from a group stage would help a bracket.

Disagreed

Group stages are to extend the time they play on Twitch for the ads and the sponsors. Nothing more.

Agreed

don’t group stages let people see all the different team matchups so that if they don’t meet later in the bracket you still know how they stacked up versus another team? xd

no

that and they allow the bracket to proceed as 1-4 2-3 instead of being entirely random

Just give the good teams a bye

Bruh that’s no fun