the "Paine" thread.

I would just find 3 or 4 resources that are well rounded and make sure to be consistent. Being consistent and sticking with a few routine things is more important than anything. By well rounded I mean like, making sure you have reading, writing, speaking, and listening all covered. And watch Japanese TV. Japanese TV is godlike for learners because all the random variety shows and shit put big text all over the screen. It makes it so much more beneficial for learners.

The Japanese gave us covid. Let's stop talking to them

that was the other japan. this japan gave us pearl harbor

Implying that that actually happened

Also learning some basic phonetics/phonology and then learning the Japanese phonetics/phonology goes a long way. Most Japanese learning materials cut massive corners on this shit. I understand why they do, but if someone is being a tryhard they shouldn't cut the corners with this. People will take you so much more seriously if your accent doesn't suck.

1 Like

that was japan's big brother dingus

this is my website

ive started calling it the EE effect. For every intelligent, appreciative, &aware consumer there is of some niche foreign thing, theres like multiple unabashed total degenerates that lack general awareness and bring great shame to the other gaijins

like i really appreciate people who prioritize niche shit over like things that make them look or sound good to the opposite sex. but i have been in p much that exact scenario before and found myself cursing out the guy who joined just to excitedly talk to me about videogames and myself for talking to him earlier about it and thinking he wouldn't do that around potential primo shags

I wasn't even trying to hook up with these girls or anything, it's just the complete lack of social awareness for this guy to assume that complete strangers must also be into anime solely based on their race fucking kills me

i think this stems from not being exposed to & interacting w/ a lot of different types of people

same goes for j-girl dumping black guy, like god damn it you stupid bitch there's a diverse spectrum of black people into all sorts of shit like painting fucking warhammer figures or whatever, not just what you see in Jay-Z music videos

My objection was to people primarily looking for differences instead of similarities. I just think it is healthier to do that when being in a foreign country for all kinds of reasons. I don't care if people are turbo nerds or socially awkward. Hell I spent most of my time out at the arcades. I was a total goober at times too. I will never forget just totally thwacking some businessman with an umbrella on accident and him giving me this death stare. I accidentally punched a woman in the face on the train once trying to reach for a handle. The convenience store cashier asked me "fork or chopsticks?" for months to which I replied "yes" each time. If people asked about me and why I came to Japan I usually told them I like arcades and language learning.

Fucking up and being a nerd with niche interests is alright with me. I was just trying to say that you can avoid doing shit like thinking souvenirs are a mystical ancient tradition if you primarily look for similarities among people instead of looking for differences where they might not exist. It is advice I would give anyone going anywhere. An American going to Japan, or a Canadian moving to Texas.

2 Likes

This woman in Japan asked me where I was from once, and I said America. She responded by saying she thought Americans were black. I told her some are black, some are white, some are even asian. She didn't seem to care. I wonder if she was joking and I just didn't get it.

maybe i just think we are all self aware enough to not be like that and i wouuld never refer someone who isnt to ya

I mean it isn't like a scathing accusation to be like that. I am sure I have been like that at times. It has just been on my mind because I had this zoom meeting for my upcoming job and the foreigner that did a presentation was a really big example of it.

these kinds of assumptions are getting baked into the baselayer of the interwebz

no god damn it i want Brazilian music not fucking manga asjdklfnefn2302

it probaly does that cuz youre not on br.google.com

lol https://www.google.com.br/

with the amount of data being collected on me it should be smart enough to know im only a part time weeb and that i dont work tuesdays

1 Like

somebody got angry at me the other day for calling the dota anime an anime and they pronounced it "ah nee may"