Amateur Programmer Thread

Any amateur programmers write down todo lists in their dreams and forget them when they wake up? Hate when that happens.

1 Like

I write linked lists

Friend just failed an Amazon coding test because he didn't know what BST/TBTs we're and iterated using nested for loops lol

fuck off ■■■■■■...

Amateur Programmer Thread

1 Like

When your bar is high enough that Little People can barely walk under it

I honestly believe you are the more professional programmer here

leaked footage of @31.214.227.13-10350

2 Likes
1 Like

Saw this and was disappointed that it wasn't a code review

1 Like

Now Let's See Paul's PR

Seeing as I don't have a lobsters account, I will be submitting things I enjoyed in this thread.

1 Like

My test takes "[info] Run completed in 5 minutes, 58 seconds." and I can't figure out any other way to do it. (that is, the other ways I've attempted to do it have failed due to user skill).

2 Likes

When that happened to me I found out our app reran a longass test suite setup before each section of the test suite (and some individual setup that was brittle/unoptimal) when it should've ran certain things once, leveraged mocks following e2e tests, maybe used a better test db solution

My diagnosis of the problem is that poking individual bits into 128-bit vector lane isn't fast when you're emulating(?) hardware.

Either one large UInt of arbitrary width (say, a 128-bit UInt) or one Vec(128, Bool) is the most logical solution for what I want.

Within the 128-bit UInt solution, I couldn't manage to write a function that say, took a sequence of values
Seq.tabulate(128/16) { i => i * 3 } and then concatenated them all into a single 128-bit value (I presume at some point the Integer would go onto the heap).

So I did the opposite, mentioned above.

it should "properly compute ADD operations." in {
    test(new BankALU(config = config)) { dut =>
      {
        (0 until n).map { i =>
          val value1 = i
          val value2 = i + 1
          (0 until config.operationWidth).map { bitindex =>
            val idx = (i * config.operationWidth) + bitindex
            dut.io.operandA(idx).poke(mask(value1, bitindex))
            dut.io.operandB(idx).poke(mask(value2, bitindex))
          }
        }

dut.io.operation.poke(ALUOperation.ADD)
        dut.clock.step(1)

(0 until n).map { i =>
          val value = i + (i + 1)
          (0 until config.operationWidth).map { bitindex =>
            val idx = i * config.operationWidth + bitindex
            dut.io.result(idx).expect(mask(value, bitindex))
          }
        }
      }
    }
  }

Attempts to cast to a Vec(n, operationWidth) type just explode because they're supposed to be used within hardware constructs and this is a test function.

2 Likes

Why do I need multiple operationWidths? I don't.

2 Likes

Read the Hwacha source code? or any of the RISC-V processors with SIMD extensions? That'd take days. LOL

2 Likes

Ultimately I have the ability to cast between whatever I want inside hardware modules, so I should just parameterize the IO RegIn types and just work with that in the tests and then throughout real hardware just use a 128W throughout or something and cast when needed.

that is likely the solution, but it's not pleasing.

2 Likes

Are you using treadle?

Nevermind I have no idea what I'm talking about but was just googling to see if I could find anything

I'm assuming you saw this?

As an amateur programmer this always poses a big problem and consumes a lot of time. It's unfortunate, this is not a problem that appears in professional programming.