Amateur Programmer Thread

Bro... this isn't how PyGame does it. This is fucking stupid!

??? i feel like prefixing functions that return a bool with is can really inform the developer that it returns a bool. that's like extremely common practice

bruh what? like every c++ implementation of data structs other than the standard library uses the more common naming conventions for this. there's a reason so many people make their own vector, maps and sets. its cuz the std ones are trash. In like almost every situation where ive used c++ i've had non standard data structs to work with, I'm just self studying some stuff rn and am forcing myself ot use them and they're cringe idk. I haven't used rpg maker (lol), but this isn't like a 'game engine' thing. this is like a 'a lot of people re-implement data structs in c++' thing

okay so what everyone else does:
size = the number of bytes occupied by the variable. ie what the c function size_of returns
count / length = the number of elements currently within the vector
capacity = the number of elements the data structure can currently hold without allocating more memory

like yea its all arbitrary but its cringe af to not use the words that basically everyone else uses. consistency is important in shit like this cuz it allows users of your language to not have to waste time being confused about what words mean.

1 Like

check out ocaml

nah. i got a new job and i have to work in c++ now, which is why i'm brushing up on it.

1 Like

i mean you could just say oop is trash and then name things poorly to make it even more trash, or you could know what problems can occur in the language you use and name things better to make it less unintuitive.

1 Like

i think expecting something called the 'standard library' to use common naming conventions isn't really that out there

1 Like

and what happens if there's an error? you throw an exception? that's garbage.

this is a troll post. moreover, the idea that "the std is garbage and that's why there's a billion vector classes" is just untrue. two reasons: the legacy of C where there is effecitvely no stdlib and there are lots of BAD C++ developers.

like I don't understand how you can harp on "it matters what the function names are called" when you ca arbitrarily overload "+" to whatever you want. it's obvious that chasing after naming is a lost cause.

do you use the std library when programming in c++?

I don't program in C++.

i feel like those are two different arguments?

'operator overloads shouldn't exist so why even bother with function names' is kinda whack imo.

okay but if you had to for a job you'd use the std library?

no, the argument is that naming is already trashed and you're focusing on something that is fucked anyway.

I'd likely use BOOST.

eh i think still better to name things well. why make things worse for youself and your team when you can make things easier for yourself and your team.

is boost popular because the stdlib sucks or is it popular because package management/build tools are awful in C/C++ so you just use a massive monolith

imo both

one thing you did clock right (sorta, its not rpg maker or unity) is that most of my c++ prior to this job was in Unreal, which has all its own data structs.

and I do think the unreal data structs are so much more intuitive than the std library.

it's moreso the package stuff: the python stdlib has been getting smaller and it's because of pip/virtualenv. the rust stdlib is very small and it's usable because cargo just functions as a better npm.