Book Club Thread

Can we read this one

Probably a good starting point for a lot of users into the world of literature.

lmao yā€™all niggas really read books?

https://www.amazon.ca/12-Rules-Life-Antidote-Chaos/dp/0345816021

1 Like

last books i read:

krasznahorkai always. he has a forthcoming collab with eli keszler of all things. the last wolf & herman, although i should get on that ā€˜one run-on sentenceā€™ book
zama, di benedetto
fever dream, samantha schweblin

had my eye on a bunch of hidden love correspondences between ingeborg bachmann and paul celan: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/reviews/correspondence-by-ingeborg-bachmann-and-paul-celan-trans-wieland-hoban-2183833.html
but i also need a translated version to surface online / or in my library

Finally got bookshelves. First image is philosophy, then board games, then some random textbooks that aren't in my office. I think there's a box of my textbooks in my parents' basement I need to grab Second is for fun reading and vinyls. Lots of HST leftover from my high school days, and I'm wondering what happened to my copy of White Noise.

i have no idea what the fuck is in your pics at all but i had a lot of dumb fun with the resistance and coup (?) i think itā€™s called

keyforge is the next netrunner / artifact

scythe is legit

of interest to me is thereā€™s a new game by the ascension/solforge dudes

i wish i had a gloomhaven group but i guess iā€™ll have to wait for the dumbed down steam release

Theyā€™re pretty high res, you can zoom in on most. Keyforge is good? Cause I absolutely loved Netrunner (or at least Corp. Runner was meh for me). Coup is great, and Avalon is just an improved Resistance

part of it is no, i canā€™t actually zoom in meaningfully without putting in some extra effort, and the other part is no one actually cares about books

if keyforge had a proper big digital release i would choose between it and artifact. i donā€™t think keyforge is particularly complex so maybe comparing it to netrunner is facetious except that theyā€™re both card games, but the concept is good and for the moment it feels fresh, albeit i refuse to pay $40 every time i want a new deck

nice collection, Eloquent JavaScript really is a definitive piece

1 Like

I want scythe but i keep talking myself out of getting it because my game group just hates long games so itā€™ll never hit the table.

have you tried decrypto? itā€™s pretty good. has kind of replaced codenames for our group.

Oh yeah Iā€™m on mobile so I can just zoom in by pinching. Top shelf is half Althusser/Badiou/Derrida/Baudrillard/Foucault (heavier on Foucault), and half Deleuze420. Second shelf is standard philosophy (Heideggerian, Nietzsche, Sartre, Kant, etc) with some psychoanalysis (Laing, the two good books by Zizek).

The fiction bookshelf is a mix of really good stuff (DeLillo, Bolano, Gaddis, Krasznahorkai), stuff I find fun (Confederacy of Dunces, Vonnegut, Murakami, Hesse, Heller), and stuff I liked in high school (Hunter S. Thompson, the beats, Phillip K Dick)

This should be our book club book

1 Like

why is there no frege on the shelf punk?

Iā€™m not an analytic

Iā€™ve got Wittgenstein and thatā€™s about it in terms on analytics. If I want a mathematician philosopher, Iā€™m gonna go with Whitehead and Leibniz

I always just went to the library

Most of those books are stolen. Iā€™d say like 90% of them. Almost all of the non-used ones (also a bunch of the deleuze ones I paid for to support a great independent bookstore in Georgetown)

1 Like

Why do u steal books? Why do u have a book called steal this book? Are u a bad person?

1 Like

Is steal this book a challenge to anyone who comes through your house and when u open it it says think again and u shoot them in the back of the head