Curse of Strahd - Character Creation

i dont mind giving you flavor items to help your backstory in addition to the lists.

Alright fixed

https://www.dndbeyond.com/profile/nmagane/characters/5442100

Very nice but where is your RP

https://namafia.com/c/general

What’s in the herbalism kit? Is it legal?

I got it for being a monk or something

https://www.dndbeyond.com/profile/Klaze/characters/5445650

Where the fuck is the RP

Going to need to do some inventory cleanup, but looking good. Did you roll for stats klaze. They look maybe a bit off from point buy at first glance .

In the players handbook it tells you what items you can get for your starting class + background.

@Mukk

Suggested Changes:

For barbarian starting items you get

(a) a Greataxe or (b) any martial melee weapon
(a) two handaxes or (b) any simple weapon
An explorer’s pack and four javelins

You don’t have a Greataxe or a Martial weapon. You will want one for sure!

For the CoS background you get the following items

A monster hunter’s pack (see the sidebar),
a set of common clothes, and one trinket of special
significance (choose one or roll on the Gothic Trinkets
table after this background)

It looks like your class and background give you a pack. They probably overlap quite a bit we could exchange some duplicate items for other items at similar cost in the PHB adventure gear table. PAGE 151 of PHB (Players Handbook). We can talk through changing some items if you want. Let me know!

@Nmagane

Suggested Changes:

You seem to be dumping wisdom which is fine for a goblin. Just a side note that monks do get a bonus to their armor class based on their level 1 skill unarmored defense. Monks can’t use armor by default. Your AC for unarmored defense skill is calculated by 10+DEX+WIS. Those refer to the modifiers by the way. So currently you are at 10 +3-1 = 12. Which is less then the default unarmored which is just 10+DEX. So you are using that one which doesn’t really take any advantage of the class skill.

For Monk’s your starting equipment is as follows:

• (a) a Shortsword or (b) any simple weapon
• (a) a Dungeoneer's Pack or (b) an Explorer's Pack
• 10 darts

You will probably just want to grab one of those packs. Monks can use monk weapons and benefit from their ability of MARTIAL ARTS

When you use the Attack action with an Unarmed Strike or a monk weapon on Your Turn,
you can make one Unarmed Strike as a Bonus Action. 
For example, if you take the Attack action and Attack with a Quarterstaff,
you can also make an Unarmed Strike as a Bonus Action, 
assuming you haven't already taken a Bonus Action this turn.

Your fists will out-scale eventually , but early levels grabbing a staff or a sword isn’t a terrible idea. By default Monks can use

Weapons: Simple Weapons, shortswords

Looks like you did your character background items right but to reiterate here they are:

A scroll case stuffed full of notes fram your
studies or prayers, a winter blanket, a set of common
clothes, an herbalism kit, and 5 gp

Required Changes

No bombs fam.

@sdadasdas

Suggested Changes

At first glance you stats seem a bit off. Doesn’t looks like a point buy that was done correctly. Let me know if you need help. If you are going to roll for stats (anyone can choose this) let me know and we can roll together in the thread for maximum enjoyment.

I notice you are a changling. I’m not going to say you can’t play one but, they are from Ebberon which is in a different plane then Forgotten Realms. You will need to have some type of backstory reason to be here. Maybe you are being hunted and you stumbled into some magical pit that transffered you to this plane who knows. But you will need some story based reason to be here then.

Required Changes

Seems you went a bit overboard on the item situation. I’ll just reiterate the items you are able to get.

For being a Bard:

• (a) a Rapier, (b) a Longsword, or (c) any simple weapon
• (a) a Diplomat's Pack or (b) an Entertainer's Pack
• (a) a lute or (b) any other musical instrument
• Leather Armor, and a Dagger

For Entertainer Background:

A musical instrument (one of your choice),
the favor of an admirer (love lelter, lock of hair, or
trinket), a costume, and a belt pouch containing 15 gp

You can’t get anything besides those items unless you purchase it in game. The only exception is if you need a flavor item for a background like Murk’s staff.

@ilmemmerdelui and @a2pas

Looks like you guys started building sheets. If you need my help let me know.

Feel free to have backstories that cross. Travel companions, relatives, friend etc.

I want to use this as a weapon but it’s not on the site
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Gauntlet

I have no backstory I’m a hermit. (Like in real life)

You can pick a weapon from the list in the PHB and flavor it as a gauntlet if you would like. No problem with me.

dandwiki is not a reliable source.

Why would your Hermit leave and start adventuring then?

The vampire is threatening his existence and he was invited to dinner.

1 Like

The master of Castle Ravenloft is having guests for dinner—and you are invited.

I will use this site instead then and take a Quarterstaff instead.
http://5e.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm

by the way the Site says I’m on 10+dex armor so 13 instead of 12. Not sure if it’s right though.