Gamers Thread

Can you make a living doing this yes or no

The only one that matters

Is that the metric? Do people make a living playing Melee?

These people aren’t mad they can’t play a video game for money anymore, they’re mad they’re losing $$$$

The bery best ones

These dudes played 10 years and were paying out of pocket to go to tournaments - think about that

The question of being reimbursed for their time or “making a living” off of games was totally foreign

Streaming money wasn’t even a thing back then

Like I said people forgot what it was like to not have money artificially injected into a video game

Maybe it’s that the companies inflated this big myth that you could make a career out of being really good at games and a lot of people fell for it

To be clear this shit’s probably coming

But organic - it’s going to take many years

These companies jumped ahead because they wanted to be first and it was good marketing

Oh I didn’t read it all I thought you just meant by the game dev/publisher

maybe todays just my trigger day but this is the dumbest point youve tried to make on the forum dude

Were talking about competitive games the fuck are you on about

Hows the fact that smash became a success make it any more organic of a comp scene than tf2?

Because black people play smash - and they’re more organic, natural, and cool.

3 Likes

More closer to nature

3 Likes

Its just way easier to play the matches for a tournament (2 players vs 12 or 18), it was much easier to swtup a stream vs doing it on tf2, tf2 took 0 advantage of the fact that it was a PC game and did zero promoting inclient or on the site till the scene was dead, not to mention how complex the only 2 comp modes were to setup versus the gsme outpyt split up and hooked up to some tv and the other to some massive displsy done. And Lastly its way easier to spectate when Theres much more fucking simple things to look at like the same exact 2 iconic characters on the same iconic stages with the same exact set of distinct possible moves that its had defined for them by their predecessor so it was pretty much a cut and paste there

Tldr u idiot

Do you guys even know how painstakingly difficult it is to assemble a really slick nice looking montage in tf2? There was one guru im the scene when I was there, hes probablt spawned a few and I didnt really study too hard into the whole aspect of.it but lets just say its a lot fucking Harder than your Chuck e cheese after hour happy fun time brawl

IM IN THE CLIP FeelsGood

Tween casters howling as the camera pans to over to give you a shot of the crowd and its a bunch of lbjs sitting with their legs crossed in neat rows like an assembly from gym class yelling names and trying to be heard on the stream mic

Idk how you think it was more organic because it was more complicated to host but let’s not dwell on that.

What does it mean for something to have developed organically in this conversation? It has no support from the dev or publisher, correct? Then the game that developed most organically would have the least amount of support from those sources.

The smash scene (which for the record isn’t as minority heavy as the normal fgc) developed in spite of Nintendo doing its best to prevent streaming. People in the scene even created a new game at one point because they thought the brawl was trash competitively. It grew from garages to houses to venues. And it continues today.

Sure tf2 might have had the same origins, but where did it grow to? Even then, when did valve push back and say no streaming this game cuz it’s our ip and it’s supposed to be casual.

Again defend tf2 all you want, but at the end of the day despite the organic way it developed, it never reached the same heights as a game that developed just as organic, and arguably even more so

Tldr maybe u have a different definition of organic

1 Like

Nma really summed it up for me so I didnt have to get baited but I think your little babby experience does not compare to the goats in terms of organic gameplay. Yes smash is organic purely in terms of growth but there is no new strategy developments in melee, no chanegups in movesets or anything, ni map rotations. Just another experience that is 80% plastic 20% organic but how Much of that is you fucking up a movement input like zdash all the time. That is not an organic game to me there’s nothing different. Its the farthest thing from somethinf like dota