Gamers Thread

Just popping in here to say I can see both sides of this argument

You guys are both right; or, rather, you are both equally wrong.

Thanks

Nvm

Zains so good but also it’s just been a while since a good marth existed

The melee guys dont understand enough about tf2 and their arguments are arguing from ignorance (see: ewiz’s previous posts about tf2 lol)

The tf2 guys don’t know much about melee

Either way it is an entirely pointless discussion to have. How do you compare the extent to which two games are “organic?” What quantitative scale can you use, especially when you don’t really know the history of the other game and the two aren’t really comparable?

If you want to take the good parts of this argument:

-read what LBJ said about melee and the way it had to grow the tournament and streaming scene despite extreme adversity
-understand that tf2 - in its huge community-driven map projects, community-led tournaments that reached tens or hundreds of thousands of players without anyone ever making a single cent, never any positive affirmation from Valve or even acknowledgment that the competitive scene was a good thing (like honestly I think they hated competitive gaming and thought it was stupid and toxic until dota came along) plus a decade of bad balancing decisions aimed at lowest common denomator pubbies - is a completely different flavor of “organic”

And these two things aren’t really comparable. They’re both organic in their own way.

So if you want to understand both sides and be an enlightened centrist like I am, understand the above, read the good parts in lbj and dan posts and ignore ewiz and bees posts

Thank you for reading

1 Like

Neither lbj not I argued about tf2. Just that Dan has no understanding of melee and was talking out his ass

This is me helping you to read the thread

Enjoy

Sounds like you’re creeping away from centrism

Careful!

I get where you are coming from here ewiz actually

But the entire discussion started as some dumb comparison between tf2 and melee between LBJ and Dan

Hi bees can you make sure your posts are worthwhile contributions to the discussion

These posts are really bad

Yeah, but lbj didn’t argue that tf2 didn’t have an organic growth. Just that it wasn’t successful

I have no clue what LBJ was arguing but either way you’re moving the goalposts

LBJ was engaging in discussion about TF2 from a background of relative ignorance

That is all.

Not really. He wasn’t arguing about anything that you would need an understanding of the game to know. Just that the competitive scene wasn’t successful (it wasn’t) and that valve didn’t actively impede its development (they didn’t)

TF2 isn’t as dead as everyone thinks, it’s been hanging around 50-100k concurrent players for years now, which is pretty good.

The competitive scene wasn’t successful though

Yeah idk why u guys keep talking about pleb shit ground the discussion in competitive scenes and their development wrt dev/pub interaction

I mean there’s no grounds to say “the competitive scene wasn’t successful”

It lived for 10 years with massive numbers of players (more than dota ever saw I’m sure) and with people doing all sorts of stuff like making websites, apps that lobby you up into pugs and shit, leagues, tournaments

You are, as usual, speaking from ignorance

And of course it’s a statement that boils down to dumb semantics of how you define successful which I dont really want to get into with you

It wasn’t sustainable. That’s the bare minimum for success