Gamers Thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgb_YiHnNkU

UPLINK - this one was pretty influential to me too, it was like a basic hacker-sim. the soundtrack for it (and for Ares) got me interested in electronic music before I really knew what it was.

i have this one on steam with like 5 hours played.

yeah there was no way any of us couldā€™ve beat it without our grandfather teaching us how, or looking at his notebook (I think he had an almost fully filled notebook he did with every puzzle and clue in the 1st game of the series. He was doing advanced theoretical physics and math problems well into his 80s tooā€¦)

yeah iā€™m happy they did a remake or whatever, even compared to the recent releases of that niche genre Iā€™m sure it still holds up. it actually felt intense, trying to download some fake files before the fake cyber-police caught you and destroyed your whole mainframeā€¦

oh to be young

dont think its a remake - just a straight copy from how this vid looks.

yeah it must be a direct port, my bad

Really fun game though - the ingame irc client is really funny too

1 Like

Are games really so much worse, or are we just too old and jaded? Fuck

Donā€™t think I can find a single Good game on the steam front page - Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a reason so many people ā€œMainā€ games these days too - thereā€™s just nothing out there, so they just Main a game even if they donā€™t like it that much (dota, overwatch, counterstrike, whatever) - doesnā€™t help that those games are made by psychologists though.

Some Indie games are good but 90% of them are just garbage too.
I donā€™t think weā€™re too old - itā€™s just that the younger generations never experienced good games.

1 Like

to play the devils advocate (not really), do you think thereā€™s a difference if theyā€™re enjoying their new games as much as we enjoyed our old ones?

Does that change if weā€™re able to say the older games were harder, more rewarding, and took much more thinking, reading, and figuring out puzzles to achieve anything, compared to where you Jump 5 times and get an ACHIEVEMENT!

Almost all game devs have one thing in their head when theyā€™re designing a new game - itā€™s a dollar sign.

there are lots of new games i like, but i guess it depends on what your looking for

ive been really into kinda short not difficult story games recently there are a decent number of good ones out right now. i really liked florence and plug n play

Donā€™t know what Enjoying means at that point anymoreā€¦ I just canā€™t get over the fact that there are psychologists working in big game companies.

my need for like a difficult/rewarding game where i struggle at first and feel like a master by the end tho has not been itched in a while

i played the witcher 3 recently and was shocked at how casual it was

still a good game but didnā€™t scratch that itch at all

its kinda old but i just played through ā€˜lovers in a dangerous spacetimeā€™ with some friends it was p fun

1 Like

I was trying not to get too ā€œold man yells at cloudā€ here. I played fallout 4 on hard (first playthrough) and I can count the number of times on my hand when I died, and half of them were due to ridiculous stuff.

I guess thereā€™s a small battle in my mind - Iā€™m much older from when I played those, Iā€™ve played a ton of games since then, the tech and industry has all changed, nostalgia is definitely a playing factor, and depression, when it comes to loss of interest in playing games and having fun while doing so.

Those games are cool but I donā€™t really think theyā€™re Game games - Iā€™m sure you know what I mean.
ā€œWhat Remains of Edith Finchā€ is a great short-story ā€œgameā€ if you want more.