Huber Learns Language - Arabic

@huber how do you pronounce hiroshima?

when westerners stress it like HEE-ro-SHEE-ma is that correct or is it said more like hi-ro-SHI-ma?

the second is closer to accurate

Japanese stresses are more subtle than stresses in English in general

my old Japanese teacher claimed Japanese doesn't have stresses at all but just from listening that doesn't seem quite right

hi-RO-shi-ma maybe

they are half right. it isnt completely flat, but the stress as we perceive it in English is very negligible.

https://vocaroo.com/i/s03ZIwgv2RIw

Japanese is a pitch accent language. They do not accent syllables with stress/volume like we do. Tokyo dialect stress a syllable by lowering the pitch.

If you want to really nail it, pronounce the "hi" lower pitch, and the rest "roshima" higher pitch.

This sounded like a stressed second syllable to iaafr because all words that do not accent the first syllable must start low and raise the pitch on the first syllable. this is a weird prosody rule. basically they have to raise pitch so that they can lower it and accent later syllables. this word doesnt have an accented syllable, so it stays high for the rest of the word.

Does this sound like a native japanese speaker?

is that you? lmao

Well?

it sounds weird to me

I think it's pretty good.

the first two syllables sound like an English speaker to me. one louder than the other

thats why I asked if its you. what I think I am hearing could be all like placebo or whatever

It's a friend.

another way to make it sound more native is knowing the the japanese "h" becomes more fircative when followed by "i". that means it is pronounced more like the "ch" in german "ich" than an english h.

If they are an English speaker, I think I can hear their English accent a bit. the hi sounds mad quiet and the ro sounds mad loud. some of the Rs sounded a little rhotic to me too but the last couple Rs were good.

That's just to my ears though. You can only really trust a native speakers ears in the end.

It's a native arabic speaker

I believe Arabic uses a stress system like European languages do with volume over pitch, so yeah thats what I am hearing

1 Like

Nmlmao

مرحبا يا رجل مصري

1 Like

Hello, American man.