If you dont drive stick youre not a man

I drove stickshift for about 8 years from 16-24. It’s fun. I bought a new car in 2014, which was auto because no stick versions were left.

Tbh, driving auto is not bad at all. Very convenient, and I don’t plan on going back.

It’s really great if you’re living in an area with a lot of traffic, nothing is worse than stop and go traffic, especially if you’re driving at an uphill decline. Parallel parking on a hill is also way less challenging on an automatic.

I think if you’re driving a car with a good automatic transmission, the experience you get driving auto is superior to stick. Car I have atm is DSG and wonderful to drive. The fact that I bought an auto because there were no more manuals left is the best accident that happened to me, glad I decided to cop it instead of waiting for the next years model.

I’m mistaken, my car is 4 years old, and I’m 30 now, so I drove stick for 10 years.

People who think it’s cooler/more manly to drive stick are delusional/have small dick syndrome. You do it because it’s a personal preference of what you enjoy more when you drive or you’re trying to save money (both of which were me).

I’m all about the experience, and DSG autos > manual transmissions unless you’re a god at double clutching. Most people who drive manuals granny shift so it’s really hilarious to boast that you drive stick like a nascar driver when in reality you’re probably jerking your way off to the grocery store lmao.

Your wasting your time on sub-optimal hobbies.

99% of hobbies are by definition suboptimal. They’re only really useful for mental detox/promoting good qualities such as time management/social development

Learned on a manual and drove stick for like 5 or 6 years.

Last car I bought was an auto. Will never go back tbqh. Way hard to text and drive when u gotta shift gears constantly.

1 Like

i do it for for maintenance and reliability reasons lol

maybe when i have an actual career and get to pay other people to do my car work for me i could justify it but i only know how to work on manual transmissions xP

Could you elaborate on what kind of maintenance you are doing on your MT that you can’t do on an auto that makes it more reliable? I’m curious.

Automatic transmissions have a SHIT LOAD more moving parts, diagnostics and repair pretty much requires a complete rebuild. It’s also a much more involved process to drain and replace fluid

to change out the clutch in a manual if you have the means to drop the transmission you’re already most of the way there

put new transmission fluid in a manual:
open drain plug
drain
close
open fill plug
fill

what was your original name on the boards? i can’t character read you rn

new name new me

e: divchan420 the young god ( fat dick)

automatic transmissions arent hard to work on provided it’s an american car

none of its HARD have you seen the common mechanic

id have to actually learn about them though and is definitely more time consuming manuals are SIMPLE

uhh if an automatic trans goes out on any car worth like 6k or under the car is basically totaled

Idk what you mean automatics aren’t hard ■■■■■■ what the fuck are orbital gears and shit

American cars are starting to use ZF 8HP and 9HP transmissions which are a different kind of beast when it comes to automatic transmissions.
They even have a plant in South Carolina for producing them.

I had no idea

All I remember from automatic repair is that you disconnect it, drain it, invert it, and then flush it a couple of times. It relies on non-newtonian lubricant to shift at given tach/speed matches so it’s more of a game of guessing where leaks are. Those things are covered in sinuses and shit that nobody actually bothers with in transmission repair

I understand like nothing about automatic transmissions really all I know is that cars with bad transmissions or transmissions going out are practically worthless and you’re better off getting a new transmission and dropping it in then paying to repair it.