Riddles and Puzzles

You left out this precious information .

Now that I know that I can solve it I’m not going to waste the time I’m very tired and going to drink a protein shake and take a nap

fuck those trains just hit me with some related rates

v1 = x/1
v1 = (z-y)/1 = (z-y)

v2 = y/4

v1/v2 = (z-y) / (y/4)
= 4(z-y) / y
Solve for z = 1
= 4(1-y) / y
= (4-4y) / y
= 4y-4yy

Ugh this is wrong but I think I am close.

1 Like

Lol

ironstove i ese you typing, do not post a solution. i believe i am close to the solution for the fresno to SF problem

Using a distance of 186.2 miles from Fresno to San Francisco the answer is that one train is traveling 31.03 miles per hour faster than the other train.

NVM

lul get fuck’d

I already saw what you typed, that was what I got. I just got specific values because I was using a specific distance between the 2 cities.

Nice, then I’m gonna repost lol:

So the first train covers y distance in 1 hr

Second train does x distance in 4 hrs

We also know that each train had to cover the distance of the other when they met and they covered it in the same time.

So if train 1 did y in 1 hr, it covered x prior to that at a rate of x/y hours

Train 2 did x in 4 hrs so it covered y at a rate of y/x/4 hours or 4y/x

So we know the time to cover distance x at speed y = time to cover distance y at speed x/4

x/y = 4y/x = same time value

multiply x

x^2/y = 4y

multiply y

x^2 = 4y^2

x = 2y

plugging this back in:

if train 1 speed is y, and train 2 speed is x/4, and x = 2y:

train 1 speed: y/1 hour

train 2: x/4 hour = 2y/4 hour = y/2

So train 2 is going half the speed of train 1.

I’m not sure if we used the same method for solving, I created a system of 3 equations with 3 unknowns (distance, speed 1, speed 2) and then used those to create a quadratic which I solved for the speeds.

So yeah, for the specific Fresno to SF problem Train 1 travels at 62.06 mph while Train 2 travels at 31.03 mph.

Nope, I didn’t do it like that but your method definitely works.

Yours is probably somewhat more elegant, my solution became an absolute shitshow with the arithmetic at points especially because I used the specific value of 186.2 miles for the distance, I ended up squaring that and getting a term of like 34000 in my quadratic equation.

Nice puzzle nonetheless.

It’s just rate conversion retarded idiots jesus

The chances you would get this question right without being given the answer are near zero.

You’re worse at math than me

Maybe so. At least I’m not a virgen, or a virgin. Haha.

OOOO KILLEM