roguelike general

been playing some UnReal World which is the oldest open-world survival games, and i think one of the oldest games still being regularly updated. trad roguelike

is anyone playing risk of rain 2?

3 Likes

whenever my friends are interested, theyre currently caught up with other stuff like factorio rn tho

did you have any questions or did u just want to discuss

is it good? whats it like

its good, theres a lot more single player content than the first one and the modding scene is probably still going strong. some fighters are just more OP than others but theres a lot of variation and viable characters to choose from. the core loop is challenging but fun. I dont normally care for games with waves upon waves of creeps but they handle that kinda gameplay really well in this game

i mostly just play to play with friends so im not in it very often. but i usually have a good time and would recommend it so long as you can find someone to do multiplayer with sometime

Uncertain if this still qualifies as a roguelike. Noncombat fashion-sim might still qualify as a roguelikelikelikelike though -- "other random challenges" sounds interesting

we might need to make an ascii roguelike unless we can find someone to draw tiles and sprites for us

i think i know someone that will write ambient tunes for us. which obviously we definitely need at this stage of our serious development

@Friend get ur company to make our game

@Friend We could corner the market if we time this right

2 Likes

We're going to make the next greatest roguelike. 3 man team so far, matticus slowdive friend

what is your role in our new structure-less company (there is no hierarchy because we're cool)

QA testing of course -- you build it I test it and provide my valuable critques

ive never done any proc gen sounds neat

making games is soooo hard tho lol

2 Likes

Especially indie games. How some indie developers with only a few people keep going is beyond me. There's tons of examples but right now I'm going to bring up the three member team behind Hollow Knight.

That said, I've some friends that work at Epic and their jobs are fairly easy. Some larger studios can sometimes do this but I've not had such luck.

having done a little bit of both but more indie

i think the difference is in an indie studio everyone crunches. in a big studio some peopel crunch most people dont.

obviously there are expections like naughty dog and rockstar where everyoen crunches

ive known 3 people who worked at rockstar and all of them quit the industry after RDR2 launched.

I'm friends with the UX artist/designer from Rocket League and his job went from unrelenting to light management/borderline boring once Epic acquired them.

wonder if epic is hiring. im gonna be looking for new jobs soon prolly.

1 Like