Top 50eu for $50usd

supcom is pretty good, don't think it ever had much of a scene but never looked into it personally

i mean what metrics of success are you guys looking for lol. i think some people are looking to personally feel the level of excitement/hype which isn't really replicable

I guess the nice thing about starcraft was how easy it was to grasp a lot of it and to feel like involved in the game. only three races with some obvious counterplay between them, and so much that could happen in-between the beginning of your game and like finishing your build. other RTSes seem to lack like either the fun poke aspect of starcraft, or like have time windows that are way unreasonable compared to starcraft (like an hour long game per match of supcom seems like a sucky aspect)

I know nothing will compare to ogsmc vs jinro but I don't expect anything to. I just wanna have fun.

sucks that my starcraft knowledge is untransgerrable tho. I'll never be able to play Random and whoop ass again

Do you play aoe2? I'll get it if I can 1v1 you

I'll put you in your fucking place dude

hell yea brother i play de occasionally

i've just always enjoyed watching rts at a high level even if i'm not playing the game currently

and i think you're putting sc on a pedestal for some reason. there's a lot of game design just as elegant as it and don't lie to yourself and say sc is easy to understand just by watching it.

played the tutorial. it was tight

is good game man

it has a small but pretty dedicated scene

https://www.faforever.com/

it's interesting in that they play a lot of these enormous 4v4 macro games

the only thing I kinda don't like about this style of RTS is how every race has a lot of the same types of units

i like games that have a lot more asymmetry

2 Likes

i always thought this game could have been something great it just would have been difficult to spectate/commentate

and i feel you about asymmetrical gameplay but it undoubtedly makes it harder to balance and doesn't necessarily mean the game will have more strategic/tactical depth

i remember my brother playing that

Ruskies blow up the Kingdome lol

1 Like

it often doesn't work, and even when it works a lot of it doesn't seem to be by design, but rather how players manage to adapt over time and that can take years to figure out assuming you have players dedicated enough to stick around that long

that's what's so amazing about Brood War --every unit is completely unique and yet it's so well balanced with interesting unit interactions ex. TvZ how dark swarm is used against siege tanks or PvZ Bisu Build

in the same vein the later star craft 2 expansions are probably a good of example of how NOT to do this, those games are just bad lol

i wasn't old enough to take this type of stuff seriously at the time but the rate at which balance patches were released probably had something to do with this kind of innovation. you just had to deal with bullshit for a lot longer on average and i'm loathe to say it but we've kind of just gotten softer or maybe our expectations to what games should be have gotten higher. i remember basically all my high school years playing on the dota patch with pit lord and drow on the loading screen

this was before devs even knew their games would be played competitively across the world but they let modders have the tools to make a scene organically

huge reason sc2 was a joke on release was the map pool and blizzards refusal to let modders/creators in for fresh blood

wtf am i even talking about