USA health insurance

then why do the rich in canada love going to usa for treatment? Knowing full well they have to pay full price in USD

Because they're rich dude you just answered your own question lmao

The medical system is very good for handling things like acute injuries but awful awful at diagnosing and treating chronic conditions.

As a consumer in the United States you're trapped in the middle of a massive circle jerk between hospitals, drug companies, and insurers. Then on top of that consider how litigious people in the U.S. are in general, especially towards doctors.

Quality of care is hugely variable, there are certainly world class physicians (my cousin had surgery performed down in Texas by a guy that did a similar procedure on the Sultan of Brunei), but most people don't have access to places like the Mayo Clinic and often get shuffled around or just prescribed random pills.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Yeah ive seen stories about the chronic stuff. Medicine and everything is through the roof.

What about obamacare or what ever hows that helped?

Obamacare is sort of like filling a grey area for people who're poor / underemployed that don't qualify for medicaid programs or don't have coverage through their employer. Previously (for most) you could only obtain insurance via your job and the idea was to open up the insurance market to more people and hopefully provide more competitive offerings in the process.

I don't think it's particularly helpful for the average lay person because it's not difficult to make too much money where you don't qualify for the government subsidy, but at the same time not make enough money to where health insurance isn't a pretty significant financial burden.

In any case regardless of whatever policy shortcomings Obamacare had/has, the whole thing was doomed because of the way it's been politicized where there's an invested interest from certain parties to see it fail.

god i f*in love bipartisanship

It sounds like being a refugee is the best for a health care plan in the states

No, having a shit ton of money is definitely the best strat

Actually baffled by that last one lmao

State benefit plans are dogshit plans and you need to go to specific places that will take your insurance as they pay low and the business plans that involve Medicare or state/govt funded plans as a primary payor (or likely the only one) essentially boil down to getting as many bodies in the door as possible and keeping everything as cheap as possible

If you have a good ppo plan and a decent amount of cash to cover your OOP and Deductible you can essentially access any part of the healthcare industry with no issues, when you have state funded or lower tier insurance plans (anybody below upper middle class basically) then you are largely limited in what you have access to and the worse your insurance is the worse the service will be

Despite me making money off of private insurance I don’t really care if the industry is nationalized or whatever, I’ll just switch to credit card fraud

1 Like

Okay so being poor is bad for healthcare

Being poor is bad for your health, yes

New York State employees have the best insurance plans in the nation. NYSHIP baby

1 Like