Your religious upbringing

When it comes time to getting married and having kids those things will exist completely outside of the holy word of God so the time will come eventually.

Gl

I don’t think it’s a good idea to teach your kid to be a cool atheist. He’d just end up as a freak - the weird kid.
It promotes bad personality traits (Looking down on religious people etc…), especially in a country like America - maybe not so much if you’re going to live in Japan.

haha thanks.

Trying to learn as much as I can about the worlds religions and philosophy makes the process seem more comfortable. My dad is a math grad that works with computers all the time and my mom got a computer science degree so they aren’t just complete dunces. This is just something that means a lot to them. My mom also switched her religions from Presbyterian to Catholicism to marry my dad so idk. Shits strange, but it’ll be interesting.

I am definitely not the type to do that.

Grew up Roman Catholic. I don’t actively participate but I consider it an important part of my life/upbringing.

A lot of my friends are adamently athesist and aren’t open to the thought of faith. I feel faith is a very important part of most peoples life. The active participation or lack of defines you in my mind. I enjoy finding a father/priest I can connect with. Growing up I had a good father who made every homily make sense in the present. It was a shame I haven’t found one near mer that I enjoy as much.

I may not believe in a heaven or after life, but the ideas and morals are very important to me.

That being said I was brought up going to Sunday school regularly until I was like 12 and went to a private christian school (Wasn’t for christians only but we had a church chapel you could go to every morning for prayer and all the faculty were christian).

Did you have to study the liturgical language?

As a parent I wouldn’t push this down their throat. I would want them to understand all the different religions and their histories. I just want my kids to be curious and ask questions.

No, my parents wanted me to learn the Coptic language but I didn’t really want to. In hindsight I think I should have because it seems like a really cool thing to know but now I can read some russian instead…

lets learn it right now

It’s only taught in Egyptian Churches as far as I know.

I don’t think spirituality is bad either. Definitely keeps a lot of people in check, esp. those with personality types that appeal to an idea of an afterlife/personal reward as opposed to the idea of a cause greater than themselves. There are definite snippets of every religion’s moral code that do check out, but in general I still feel like morals exist independently of the religious dogma, and most people follow the select few they like even if they are zealots to a particular religion.

I do think that much of the church functionality in America was and still is the socializing aspect, which has been supplanted with other activities and pursuits. I still volunteer through a church org even if I am not a believer.

How exactly? You can try to explain the religions to them but then would you end it with “But I don’t think this is real” or “We don’t really know if this is true”? Do you think they would hear that and go “Oh but I believe it” when they’re like 8 years old?
I don’t know dude…

my parents made me get confirmed at a roman catholic church when i was in 8th grade but i havent been back since

One of my favorite things honestly was when I lived near my church was helping out at their homeless shelter. I just played spades or hearts with them for more 4 hours a few times a week.

I would rather teach my child to talk to religious people with curiosity and respect than tell my child how I think every religion works.

Don’t you think those are fundamentally the same thing?

Well when they are 8 I’m not sure how much you can really do, but try and spark curiosity. Do I tell them Santa is not real at 5 if they ask? Idk…

I think it’s fine for them to not have all the answers and be curious and I think it’s fine to tell kids that you don’t know the answers to certain things.

I can’t see why telling them God is real would be any better than telling them we aren’t sure. I guess I don’t really understand your concern.

The teaching and philosophy side of things probably wouldn’t be until their preteens. I could have been taught God of the Gaps as a preteen pretty easily I think. My AP euro teacher in high school laid that one down for us.

My kids might be influenced by people that claim to know God is real because I’m the parent that tells them I don’t know. I probably wouldn’t be able to explain to them that those other older people don’t know either, but I don’t necessarily really care if my young child has some religious beliefs at a young age just like I wouldn’t really care if they believe in santa.

When I was like ten I asked my mom why we never went to church if we believed in God. She asked me if I wanted to wake up at 7am on a Sunday. Thanks mom