Forum Mafia Rules

Forum Mafia Rules

Hello there! Welcome to the world of Forum Mafia!

If you are new to Mafia, I suggest you read our New Player Guide. TODO

What follows is a list of rules to add structure to our Mafia games.

Host Rules

The rules in this section are more for the host to set up a structured game.

1. Roles will be decided after sign-ups. Each role is guaranteed to be determined randomly. The host will assign roles by giving each person a number and using random.org. If you get a role you don’t like, too bad. TODO Working on an app that will live on mafia.namafia.com that will facilitate this process.

2. Night Action Resolution will be resolved in this manner: Night Action Orderr.

3. At minimum the host is required to display the Vanilla Town(or equivalent) format PM publicly in the threads opening post.

4. A Private Message from a player must be answered in the game thread anonymously, given that it should be answered. A host is on no ones team and should give no advantage to either side.

Player Rules

These items are considered our only enforced rules for players. You will be warned, banned or mod killed depending on the severity of the infraction. This is up to the host on a game by game basis, but to be banned it must be reviewed by a moderator.

1. Do not discuss any active mafia game outside the game thread, without the express permission of the Host. This includes but is not limited to: the forum itself, private messages, skype, discord, you get the idea

2. A player cannot edit their post. (working on disabling this still)

3. There is no talking at night, period. Dead people cannot talk, period.

4. The host may change any rule in the game. If that is the case, the host must specify the changed rules.

5. A Private Message or Chat is private. You may not openly discuss them without prior approval of the game host.

6. A Player should always play to their win condition to the best of their ability. You are still able to forfeit, however this does not let you throw the game on purpose.

Acceptable:

• You are last mafia and you are outed. You can forfeit by PM'ing the host and not finishing the day.

Unacceptable:

• Publicly forfeiting and giving up because you don't like your teammates.

Player Penalties - The Tribunal

If a player breaks an above rule, the host should be privately notified immediately. Depending on the severity of the infraction a few steps from the host can be taken. It is important to note that intent is just as important as the violated rule.

Warn-able Offense:

• An accident or slip of the tongue that violates an above rule that is non game breaking

Mod Killed(Zeus'd):

• Intentionally violating an above rule.
  • Warning a player twice in a game

Tribunal

• Game Ruining - intentionally ruining a game by violating an above rule. (i.e game cannot continue)
  • Repeated Mod Killing

The Tribunal will present the grievances against the offender and he will be judged by a jury of his peers. A poll will be opened whether the user is guilty or innocent.

• First time offense - 3 game suspension
  • Second time offense - 5 game suspension
  • Third time - permanent game ban.

Player Etiquette

These are items that are not against any rules, but are highly recommended. They make the game thread clean to read and make it welcoming to new players.

1. Do not use bold font unless you are lynching
  2. Do not use colored font unless you are the host.
  3. Refer to players by their forum name to not confuse the host or new players.

Game Guidelines

These are more generic guidelines that are often changed on a game by game basis.

1. If you want to play, you must be active. This means a commitment of not only reading but replying to the game thread. If you are not considered active you may be mod killed or replaced. Our active posters average around 10-20 posts per day, but often times this will require significantly more.

2. Day voting lasts 48 hours. At the end of 48 hours, the plurality vote will be upheld. Night rounds end either once all applicable power roles have reported in or when 24 hours have passed, whichever comes first. If you are a power role and do not submit your night action before the night round ends, you will be banned from the next game. As the game progresses day and night may shrink to speed up play with fewer numbers.

3. Once the game starts, the host will not answer questions that are asked in the game thread. If you ever have a question during the game, you can PM the host to make sure you are not breaking any rules/understand how the game works. If the host feels that the answer will be helpful to everyone playing (purely to understand the mechanics of the game, not to affect the outcome), the host can post it for everyone to see, so nobody will know who originally asked the question.

If you're looking for tips check the tips tag.

New rule: goy club must stay to their goy club containment games

3 Likes

Quotevote

Regarding the Activity Bar

Hey so last game I noticed people were worried about the activity bar giving away too much information for mafia and the game being delayed to accomodate it. I didn't like that so I wanted to open the configuration to you guys and discuss a good way to have our cake and eat it too -- cuz i like having live and don't want to remove it, but it shouldn't impact games either.

old settings

original settings
settings i had set in the past week

my proposal for changes:

(for the record ill be implementing my proposal and tweaking it until/unless the community believes a different set of options will be better -- just to help our users feel more secure about using our site&playing)

Are we still on board about

• game-zone being react-free? i noticed that everyone can submit them again -- i dont think thats intentional
  • Likes still okay for game threads? Keep in mind that it's annoying to figure out whos alive or dead so we can't really do anything finegrain, only really turn this feature on and off for the mafia forum like reacts

All the activity bar changes is negative stuff pushed by a certain someone who is always wrong

For a long time we had the rule that you have to be non-private profile in game because we want to use that feature to iso people, engage with people who are active/know when they're around to talk to them etc. It does make the games/website better

Ewiz shows up and says everyone should be on private profile and the activity bar is out of game info. To be honest I do not care, I think it is wrong and makes the site worse but by saying this I just make myself a target for more abuse from you two knuckleheads

It is common courtesy not to react/like posts in an active game if you're not in the game or are dead in the game, you should not be doing stuff that can influence the game if you're not active in it. But it is not a huge deal I think ppl are fine with some of this stuff being more casual

Also the "game host sets his own little rules/punishments" stuff he's pushing is a step backward, we had been doing that for a while and it became clear it just isn't sufficient, host is responsible for his own game but u do need some clear guidelines on a site level and those should be enforced on a site level, not just expecting every individual host to figure out what rules he wants

1. some users that play mafia have to deal with actual harassment (not the "abuse" you're describing) and are totally justified in wanting to be private. and this is my paranoid side talking but those people aside i think there's some justification to not wanting to be actively monitorable
  2. Whether or not it's ogi seems irrelevant. Like when im playing a game and I load up the page, I see the bar every time, and it does have influence on my thoughts, an influence that has weakened over time but still impacts what I think sometimes even if I don't want it to. Nobody's citing it or using it to cite but it's hard to say that people aren't using it to try and conclude their ideas
  3. I agree that retorts/likes are not a big deal, I personally think they're a lot of fun, but if we do keep them then you gotta answer this -- Jdance used retorts last game and liked posts after he subbed out, what punishment would you give to him?
  4. Not sure what your last post is regarding (seems as schizo as you say ewiz's posts are) but we're trying to come to a unified conclusion regarding mafia conductance and rules and that's why I made my post. less ad hominem more trying to help please

don't know what you're talking about but "they have to deal with harassment so we want private profiles" is backwards, just deal with the harassment.

I don't know, that's not for me to decide, but I told him he shouldn't do that. (edited to say tried to influence game because idc retorts and likes, it is pretty minor)

Last post is regarding you should lay out clearly what the standards are and what the consequences are for violating them, not leave it to hosts. And one very loud person isn't a consensus and you shouldn't be jumping to make site changes off it.

I guess the way to clarify points 2 and 3 of previous post is :

It's not for me to decide and it's also not for ewiz to decide - it should be very clear on a website level, not a host level, what is acceptable and what the consequences are.

Doesn't have to be particularly nasty either, could just be "Don't do this or you'll get a warning, it's not a huge deal"

Lol

Can you guys back off a little? You are in my personal bubble.

Both should be disabled because someone can remove them and it allows people who saw it to get info others can't.

I also wouldn't fuck with the activity bar: just leave it up to the host to make their own rules: all private profiles, no private profiles, or players decide. I'll be running all my future games with the requirement that everyone set their profile to private

I never said this. I said all players in my game need to turn their profiles to private

Searching does this just as easily

@'ing people works just as well

Faz did in the game I hosted.

What?

Why should the host not be able to run the game the way they want the game run? If I don't want reads to be made based on certain information that I consider OGI, then my games should be allowed to restrict that.