Book Club Thread

i havent read if yet but blindsight by peter watts sounds really really good.

also three body problem trilogy is very much cosmic horror among other things amd 100% reccomend it

you arent autistic youre a woman brained

I was going to write something about my thought that SciFi would be easy to write: the NSF has shoveled money endlessly into the furnace that is research in quantum computing, theoretical physics, cosmology.

Then there's ideas within the 90s about cryptocurrency enabled assassination markets, etc. and we've effectively got the cryptocurrency part, but the cool stuff like assassination markets (generalized prediction markets) isn't a thing because people just aren't cool.

Science has been completely soured and I would imagine it's hard to write anything that isn't going to be shadowed by the backdrop of the most significant "technological development": personalized advertising.

it’s not hard to just spam out a bunch of cool science ideas but it’s very hard to do so in a way that’s actually interesting or compelling

I was having a discussion with nmaGane and he mentioned something akin to "there's no way the Ancient Egyptians didn't have advanced technology and we just haven't found it/it's been lost to time"; but I frankly think a way more compelling thought is that they DIDN'T have technology we've found there.

there is nothing more fake than this "man": he goes around posting about the "human spirit" and then guffaws about the legitimacy of theories about millions of slave workers pushing around massive stone blocks unaided.

there were no white people (mediterranean white maybe but not turbo white) so aliens must have built it

1 Like

absolutely devastating for alightsoul

1 Like

that's a thorough refutation if I've ever seen one.

Scholars today, however, think it may have been built by only 20,000 men over 20 years.

20 years for 6 million tons? I don't believe it.

kill yourself osiris

nmaGane has more in common with Pajeets than he does with Bantu peoples (LBJ).

rough dota games today?

If the aliens built the Egyptian pyramids (and to some degree, the South American ones), why didn't they help the inhabitants of present day USA?

These people amounted to "complex societies" which they built on massive mounds of dirt. You're supposed to feel bad about these people getting massacred and swindled out of their land for a bunch of beads and pay out their descendants billions of dollars in federal contracts.

the mesoamerican pyramids are fire emoji but incan architecture is the real :goat:

1 Like

The ancestral owners of the land I inhabit took the concept of a "landfill" and made it the edifice of their society.

nah it was just dirt cesspits are a different thing

It's not necessarily Alien - It could've just as well been a genuine Atlantis situation.

who claimed a pyramid was built in 20 years?