DCSS

First result on google. Fastest 15 rune runs.
Disregarding that the top speedruns are all melee builds (Gargoyles with very high resistances); Look at the MiFi/MiBe runs on this. Only spells in 3 runs are Blink and Apportation.
https://dcssleaderboards.z6.web.core.windows.net/speedruns/player15r

When did i say you cant get 15 runes as a melee ? Its pretty obvious you can since i just got 5 on my fucking android phone. You just need to burn consumables in a crazy way. You're essentially locked behind them.

'Speedruns got so many melee'

Yeah i wonder why? It's because closing the game out as melee if you're diving every branch is probably so much faster than rather if you were a mage looking for a million spellbooks

Also +9 Broad Axe of holy wrath on e every extended melee char lmao this games weapon system sucks so fucking bad

How do you mess up your 25 year old game's weapon system so bad that every single melee weapon except one is completely redundant?

No offense but this is honestly so meaningless. You are "locked" behind so many things, if that's how you view it.
You're "locked" behind weapon drops, enemy spawns, dungeon generation, fight dicerolls, consumable drops.
Most importantly you are locked behind skill and game knowledge, to minimize getting yourself into situations where you need to burn resources.
Skill in a game like this is how well you play around your odds, consumables are only one deciding factor and I am certain that average run drops enough consumables.
You act as if you don't realize that there's always a better decision/move to make - I wouldn't be surprised if an AI can win at least 50% of runs with 15 runes.

I don't understand why you insist on acting so confident when you know that you're as ignorant as everyone else around you, you don't get anything out of it other than looking like some sort of dunning-kruger gamer.

If you're just writing stuff like that and get upset and backpedal when someone says "That's not true" I don't know what to tell you. You don't have to do anything.
I simply linked you a list of people getting 15 runes without any "insane wizardry builds".

Yeah the same AI that they used on the Drones in Ukraine

Yeah i'll get into Nethack. Just get the Broad Axes away from me

It doesn't particularly matter whether or not a perfect-DCSS AI is currently possible, the point is that it's not a very complicated game and despite not having perfect information, it can still be played optimally to a level much higher than our observations.
Recognizing that alone should be enough to prevent you from thinking such egregious things like "you are just locked behind consumable drop rng". It's like saying "hearthstone is just rng bro" .

I have been researching Nethack, it seems to have an interesting structure.

Yeah get through as in

' Not keeping a make or break checklist of how many blinks and hastes and cancellations you have left.'

The room for mistakes is extremely small. You have to know the branches like the back of your hand and use your consumes perfectly.

Once you're down to 2-3 blinks and hastes/cancels your chances of getting thru pandea, hell, tomb are extremely slim, unless you play turn perfect(you wont)

As a caster you just zip and dart arou nd nuke your entire fucking screen. It doesn't matter what scrolls you have.

I doubt this is true unless you also know the game like the back of your hand - the space of mistakes is also quite different, but that doesn't mean that it's larger or smaller.

You've reached the right conclusion though, you need to be pretty good (very knowledgeable) at the game or incredibly lucky to get 15 runes. The room for mistakes is low, because it's not an easy game.

But this really is just how roguelikes are - a mistake while getting your first rune, costing you 1 blink can very easily cost you the game if you make another mistake late game when you're out of blinks.
The solution? Make 1 less mistake - it doesn't matter when you make 1 less mistake, but you work to minimize the amount of Blunders/Inaccuracies in each chess game, and the player that makes less generally wins.

Whether or not "The Tomb" is bad game design is secondary.

well turns out Tombs is supposed to be the 15th rune. I just asked the ninthsettler guy why it was so hard and he said

"That place is messed up do not go there."

1 Like

i wasted 2 perfectly good MiFi Shining ones

What would you do in this situation?

Move bottom right.

move bottom right -> ozocobu armor -> ramparts -> drink might, if dying -> drink berserk

Wouldn't you want to use lignification if you're using ramparts since you can't move anyway?

im using ramparts solely because i estimate it would deal more damage than the one turn i would take attacking once. I don't want to use lignification since there's a very high chance i might need to run or teleport if things go south

i also got 20 in ice mage to use ozocobu refigeration but unfortunately 90% of monsters in this game are straight up immune to cold after like D7

LMAO