NAMafia Film Club

@Osiris sorry for taking so long. originally I wanted to read the book, then watch the original, then watch the new one for a second time while taking notes. anyway i’ve scrapped the reading the book part and i’m still intending to do the other two. not sure on the eta

1 Like

its funny because after reading the first book and then watching the movie again (dune) my enjoyment of it skyrocketed and ive seen it like 3 more times since

but I agree that as a standalone film, it’s lacking in certain areas. i didnt even really like it the first time I saw it.

also yeah your point about Arrival is spot on, couldn’t agree more. And that’s a really smart way of putting it, too.

now you’ve made me want to watch it again

1 Like

ive never read the book but i saw the previous 2 iterations of the film. they're good if a bit more flowery

1 Like

dune is pretty cool thematically as a futuristic society that abuses drugs so they don't have to rely on computers but a lot of the other plot devices are incredibly repetitive and overhyped in general

Only the book is good, the movies consistently missed the mark

The david lynch one was just too goofy/1980s, the modern one was a transparent attempt to start a long-running franchise ("dune cinematic universe") and lacked any charm or humanity

disagree, they were revolutionary for the time written and just about every sci fi since has benefitted in some way from dune/herbert

Started post with "I've never read the book" = opinion discarded

1 Like

yeah I do have to agree with this, but somehow I still enjoy the movie. (re the 2021 film)

I watched the Lynch once while super high on edibles once and almost puked from laughing so hard

not sure if your joking at me or osiris but to be clear I have read dune, just not at time of my first viewing of the 2021 film

I think it gives me a rather unique perspective, being able to watch the movie before and after I read the first book

Yeah I think both are missing the vaguely hallucinogenic element that edibles would imbue

It's very hard to capture the prophetic visions/spice hallucinations element in film properly but it's core to the atmosphere/vibe. I had hoped Villeneuve could do it but tbh they didn't even attempt it, they didn't attempt to do anything other than introduce the basic characters & setting and then were like "Ok pce, come back in 4 years for the next one!"

reread the book and see how many times the kwisatz thingy, desert power, jihad, etc are brought up. just because it's an original idea doesn't mean the author can't overuse his themes and bludgeon you to not caring with them

Yes I was making fun of Osiris's post

I mean yeah that’s a good point. I don’t think he was the most amazing writer; still adore the first book tho

Are u trolling? The author bludgeoned us with themes in a book u haven't read?

are you ok bro?

1 Like

Most of the sci-fi greats of the late 20th are not really great writers but come up with great settings

& part of the reason we view them as overused/tired is that people then proceeded to copy all their tropes ad nauseam for like 50 years

2 Likes

i still enjoy the setting overall tbc even though some things are fuzzy (like how shields work) it's just so drawn out that it feels tortuous at times if youre actually reading each word

sci fi had a similar problem to fantasy where the settings were overdeveloped but characters didn't develop at all

1 Like

i mean how many dynamic characters are in dune? paul? i legit can't think of another besides gurney but that's more out of necessity

I think there's just so much to like. Some of the stuff from the first book, themeatically, doesn't quite come to pass until later books. Such as the biggest theme of all, not to put your faith in charismatic leaders.

Then you have the bene-gesserit and their "spreading superstitions" which can be very easily applied to real life, I find that rather brave for the time. There's social commentaries within social commentaries on so many issues

To me the biggest achievement of the book is how many grand ideas it throws at you in rapid succession while still remaining highly readable and entertaining