I wanted to put my thoughts down after the last game. I’ve received a lot of different opinions and “suggestions”.
I am a bit sad that it has come to this already. I tried to involve everyone in the formulation of a ruleset that we will abide by. It seems almost everyone disregarded it last game. I don’t want to name everyones name and go by list of offense since I actually want to be able to play another game and we can’t do that if everyone is sitting out.
I think some new take aways that last game are:
- Host should specify the time schedule of days during signup if it is different then the proposed 48/24.
- No one should ever lock an active game except for the host, or a moderator after being contacted by the host to do so.
- Following up, Players don’t decide when days or games are over. The host does. A day is not over until the host says it is over.
- People have widely different opinions on what constituents playing for your win condition.
The first two are pretty obvious, but the last one is interesting to me. Can someone be held accountable for making a play that you feel is game losing? How do we even begin to measure that? I see the term griefing come up a lot. Which is generally a word unique to a video game culture and it is defined normally as follows:
deliberately irritates and harasses other players within the game, using aspects of the game in unintended ways.
I personally don’t think I am very good at mafia. I have a lot of fun. I probably don’t always make optimal moves in some peoples minds, but to me they are valid and have a purpose. Is that greifing? I don’t think so.
How would you define greifing in mafia?
More than a handful of people have reached out to me with concerns about playing with a certain subset of our users. I have never really been one to not allow a player to play because of reputation. See me allowing kyle to play.
I see it almost every game that these users are accused and suspected of communicating outside of the game threads. I find this hard to have physical proof, but if the majority of our users don’t want to play with a subset of our users it perhaps is time for containment games.
Some basic fundamental rules I want to reiterate:
- It is never okay to talk about a current game outside of the game thread or host approved graveyard. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS.
- It is never okay to post your private chats about a current mafia game in a game thread.
- Hosts should never directly interact with the game thread, only answer pm’s anonymously
- When DAY ENDS no fucking talking. If your dead no fucking talking. If you are not in the game NO fucking talking
I am not going to even bother addressing jdance as he was silenced until the end of the month